-2019-2020: Postdoct, EU H2020 Project Atlas, at Institute of Evolution Sciences of Montpellier (ISEM, CNRS), University of Montpellier and Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer, France.
-2019: Teaching Population genetics practical classes at the Aix-Marseille Université Master in Biological Oceanography and marine ecology.
- 2018-2019: Visiting researcher at the Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography, France, and Center of Marine Sciences, Portugal.
- 2016-2018: Postdoct, EU H2020 Project Atlas, at Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer, France.
- 2016: Teaching assistant of GIS for the Graduate Program Science for Development, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Santiago, Cape Verde Islands.
- 2015: Research assistant at Promar-GAC Pescamap Project, Center of Marine Sciences, Portugal.
- 2010-2016: Project manager and Principal investigator at the Center of Marine Sciences for project Deep Reefs.
- 2008-2010: Research assistant at EU LIFE Project BIOMARES, Center of Marine Sciences, Portugal.
- 2006: Research assistant at Project POCTI/MAR/55377/2004 "The invasive theory of the pest seaweed Sargassum muticum in southern Portugal".
- Ten scientific expeditions in the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans, and in the Mediterranean Sea (180 days at sea).
- Referee for ship-time proposals for the Schmidt Ocean Institute.
- Referee for six international peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- 2011-2016: PhD in Marine Biology and Conservation, University of Algarve, Portugal and Ifremer, France
- 2006-2007: MSc in Marine Biology (specialty in Marine Ecology and Conservation), University of Algarve, Portugal
- 2002-2006: BSc in Marine Biology and Fisheries, University of Algarve, Portugal and Itajaí University, Brazil
Awards and Grants
- HABMAR - Conservation of marine biodiversity in Portugal, 16-01-04-FMP-0018. Wrote project (2017) 330,000€
- Erasmus scholarship by Agência Nacional Programa Aprendizagem ao Longo da Vida, at IMBE, Aix-Marseille Université, France (Jun-Sep 2013) 3,000€
- Travel grant from Assemble EU to SAMS Station, Oban, Scotland, Workshop Advancing the use of Scientific Diving as a valid and cost-effective pan-european research tool (2012)
- DEEP CORALS - Video characterization of the circalittoral benthic communities found on the rocky reefs off Portimao. Assemble grant, Principal investigator (2012) 5,000€
- PhD scholarship from the Foundation for Science and Technology, Portugal (2011-2015)
- Waitt Grant/National Geographic Society No. 153-11 (2011) 10,000€
- Inaqua Conservation Award by Lisbon Oceanarium and National Geographic Channel (2010) 14,600€
- 32h entrepeneurship course awarded by Prémio Start 2007, from BPI bank, Microsoft and Nova University of Lisbon (UNL) (2008)
Joana R. H. Boavida
MIO -Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography
Campus de Luminy
163 Avenue de Luminy